Mountfort Architectural Drawing: Proposed Museum Additions
One architectural drawing by Benjamin Mountfort showing proposed additions to Canterbury Museum.
Mid 19th Century-Late 19th Century
Mr Benjamin Mountfort, Provincial Architect, depict proposed museum addns.
The Canterbury Museum on Rolleston Avenue, designed by B. W. Mountfort, first opened in 1870. The first incarnation of the Museum was a Gothic Revival Style building consisting of a single room 21.3 metres long by 10.6 metres across with a wooden structure alongside to provide office space. The original building quickly proved to be too small, and the addition of a new two storey wing in the same Gothic Revival style was completed in 1872. The original Mountfort buildings underwent seismic strengthening between 1987 and 1995, which contributed to the relatively minor damage sustained during the 2010-2011 Canterbury earthquakes.