Colour Photograph: Beth El Synagogue, Gloucester Street, 1985
One landscape colour photograph taken in 1985 of the Beth El Synagogue on Gloucester Street, Christchurch. The synagogue was demolished in 1987.
This photograph shows the Beth El Synagogue on Gloucester Street was built in 1881 by the Canterbury Hebrew Congregation, replacing an older wooden edifice on the site. The building was demolished in 1987 when the synagogue relocated to 406 Durham Street, in central Christchurch. The new synagogue suffered extensive damage and had to close for an extended period after the 2010-2011 Canterbury earthquakes.
Current Rights Code