Mountfort Drawing: Design for Canterbury Provincial Council Buildings, 1855
One landscape semi-circular pencil drawing by Benjamin Mountfort, dated March 1855, showing a perspective bird's eye view of the Canterbury Provincial Council Buildings on Durham Street, Christchurch.
The stone and timber Canterbury Provincial Council buildings were constructed between 1858 and 1865. The first building was a timber council chamber modelled on English manorial halls, though it had not even opened in 1859 when an extension was proposed. This extension increased the Durham Street frontage and added a new wing along Armagh Street. The third and final stage was the legislative chamber or great hall. The complex was severely damaged during the 2010-2011 Canterbury earthquakes. The damaged site has been made waterproof and partially deconstructed, until a decision on its future can be made.
W x 630 H 580mm (W x 24 13/16 H 22 13/16")
Current Rights Code