One green and red Ferguson tractor, 1950s. One of three used by Sir Edmund Hillary's Ross Sea Party of the Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition 1955-1958 when travelling to the South Pole.
18 Jun 1956
Associated Place Notes
Used to reach the South Pole on 4 January 1958.
Built in Coventry by the Standard Company for Massey Ferguson, this tractor was one of five allotted to Scott Base in support of the Commonwealth Trans Antarctic Expedition. It was one of three which reached the South Pole on 4 January 1958. Under the leadership of Sir Edmund Hillary the modified tractors became the first vehicles to reach the South Pole overland. Modifications included a full tracking system which needed rigid front wheels. To achieve this, fence standards (waratahs) were welded to the steering. These can still be seen on the machine displayed in the Sir Robertson Stewart Hall of Discovery. One tractor was returned to the United Kingdom, one to the Auckland Transport Museum and the Canterbury Museum houses the third.