Time Capsule: Copper
One cylindrical copper time capsule with soldered ends containing rolled copies of the Christchurch Times and The Press from 25 March 1931, along with a document detailing the placement of the time capsule by the then North Canterbury Hospital Board; one end of the capsule has been removed to allow access.
Placed beneath the foundation stone of Hagley Nurses Hostel, Canterbury District Health Board.
The North Canterbury Hospital Board placed this copper time capsule under the foundation stone of the new female staff accommodation building, known as the Hagley Nurses Hostel, in 1931. The capsule includes copies of 'The Press' and 'Christchurch Times' newspapers dated 25 March 1931, as well as a letter from the North Canterbury Hospital Board. This letter describes how the overall growth and development of hospital services required extra facilities to accommodate female staff. The content within this time capsule gives an interesting insight into Christchurch and how it was developing during the 1930s. The building was demolished due to earthquake damage sustained during the 22 February 2011 earthquake.