Cokers Hotel is named after John Etherdan Coker, known as Jack, who leased Judge Gresson's property at 52 Manchester Street and licensed it as Cokers Hotel in 1867. In 1890 the lease was taken over by a Captain Popham, who defended it against an attempt by Prohibitionists to shut it down in 1895. The anti-liquor campaigners claimed that it was a centre for prostitution and unruly behaviour but were discredited by Popham's lawyer. In the early 1900s the name changed to Cokers Family Hotel under the proprietorship of James Hatfield. It was destroyed by the earthquake of 22 February 2011 and subsequently demolished.