Sign: Cokers Hotel
One metal backed plastic sign, circa 1970s, for Cokers Hotel, Manchester Street, Christchurch detailing hotel services and featuring a map of the central city.
The Cokers Hotel was located in central Christchurch at 52 Manchester Street. First licensed by John Etherdan (Jack) Coker in 1867, in 1890 the lease was taken over by Captain Popham, who defended the hotel against attempts by prohibitionists to close it down in 1895. In the early 1900s James Hatfield took over the proprietorship and renamed it Cokers Family Hotel. The hotel was badly damaged by the earthquake of 22 February 2011 and subsequently demolished. This sign, which used to direct customers to hotel services and displayed the hotel directory, was recovered from the building before demolition.