Bar Account Book: Cokers Hotel, 1963-66
One manuscript accounts book for Cokers Hotel, Manchester Street, Christchurch, dating from 1963 to 1966; appears to record daily bar takings.
The Cokers Hotel was located in central Christchurch at 52 Manchester Street. First licensed by John Etherdan (Jack) Coker in 1867, in 1890 the lease was taken over by Captain Popham, who defended the hotel against attempts by prohibitionists to close it down in 1895. In the early 1900s James Hatfield took over the proprietorship and renamed it Cokers Family Hotel. The hotel was badly damaged by the earthquake of 22 February 2011 and subsequently demolished. This accounts book records the daily bar takings between 1963 and 1966. It was recovered from Cokers Hotel before demolition.