Guest Register: Cokers Hotel, 1974-78
One manuscript guest register from Cokers Hotel, Manchester Street, Christchurch, dating from 1974 to 1978.
The Cokers Hotel was located in central Christchurch at 52 Manchester Street. First licensed by John Etherdan (Jack) Coker in 1867, in 1890 the lease was taken over by Captain Popham, who defended the hotel against attempts by prohibitionists to close it down in 1895. In the early 1900s James Hatfield took over the proprietorship and renamed it Cokers Family Hotel. The hotel was badly damaged by the earthquake of 22 February 2011 and subsequently demolished. This guest register records the people who stayed at the hotel between 1974 and 1978. It was recovered from Cokers Hotel before demolition.