Staffing Ledger: Cokers Hotel, 1971
One manuscript staffing ledger from Cokers Hotel, Manchester Street, Christchurch, used to record staffing details including pay and leave, dating from 1971.
The Cokers Hotel was located in central Christchurch at 52 Manchester Street. First licensed by John Etherdan (Jack) Coker in 1867, in 1890 the lease was taken over by Captain Popham, who defended the hotel against attempts by prohibitionists to close it down in 1895. In the early 1900s James Hatfield took over the proprietorship and renamed it Cokers Family Hotel. The hotel was badly damaged by the earthquake of 22 February 2011 and subsequently demolished. Dating from 1971 this staffing ledger was used to record staffing details such as amount of pay and leave allocations. It was recovered from the building before demolition.