Colour Photograph: Fort Jervois, Ripapa Island, Lyttelton, 1997
One landscape colour photograph taken in 1997 showing one of the disappearing guns at Fort Jervois, Ripapa Island, Lyttelton Harbour.
Fort Jervois, on Ripapa Island in Lyttelton Harbour, was built in 1886 as part of a coastal defence scheme instigated following the previous year's ‘Russian Scare'. The fort was used by the army until the end of the Second World War. This 1997 photograph shows one of the fort's disappearing guns, mounted in 1889 in a concealed gun pit.
4 x 6" (101.6 x 152.4mm)
Dimensions (HxW) Inches