Colour Photograph: Addington Railway Workshops Water Tower, 1985
One landscape colour photograph taken in 1985 showing the railway water tower at Addington, Christchurch.
The Addington water tower was constructed in 1883 to provide a high pressure water system for the Addington Railway Workshops. It was designed by Peter Ellis, Chief Draughtsman for the Railways Department and stands at 21.9 metres tall. The water tower was one of the world’s first reinforced concrete structures and was built using prison labour. The railway workshops it was built to service were closed in the 1980s and subsequently demolished; the tower remains is the only surviving structure from the complex.