Colour Photograph: Sign of the Takahe, 1985
One landscape colour photograph taken in 1985 showing the Sign of the Takahe on the corner of Dyers Pass and Hackthorne Roads, Christchurch.
The Sign of the Takahe, a category one historic place, was constructed in stages between 1918 and 1946 with the first section opening to the public in 1920. Located at the corner of Dyers Pass Road and Hackthorne Road, it was the most ambitious of the tram terminus rest houses that would be constructed along the road over the Port Hills into Akaroa. The building is designed in the Gothic Revival style by Henry George (Harry) Ell and was later converted into a restaurant. The building survived the 2010-2011 Canterbury earthquakes, but required extensive remediation before being allowed to reopen.
6 x 7" (152.4 x 177.8mm)
Dimensions (HxW) Inches