Brief Description
One mounted ink drawing by Benjamin Mountfort of the Church of the Good Shepherd, Phillipstown, Christchurch, 1884.
Production Date
1884
Production Place
Background
The Church of the Good Shepherd in Phillipstown was consecrated in 1885. Designed by Benjamin Mountfort it was his first brick church. Due to a lack of funds only the nave was constructed during his lifetime and it wasn't until 1987 that the north transept was rebuilt in brick. The design served as a prototype for Mountfort’s much larger Cathedral of St John the Evangelist in Napier, which was destroyed in the 1931 earthquake. The Church of the Good Shepherd was demolished following the 2010-2011 Canterbury earthquakes.
Collecting Unit
Measurement Reading
W x 390 H 530mm (W x 15 3/8 H 20 7/8")
Measurement Type
Area
Current Rights Code

 Share


To order a copy of this image please contact Canterbury Museum images@canterburymuseum.com

Unless otherwise stated, or an author is acknowledged, Canterbury Museum holds copyright to all information on Collections Online. All efforts have been made to trace copyright holders. Please contact the Museum with any queries on this matter info@canterburymuseum.com

The information on this page was created from historic documentation and may not reflect the best available knowledge about the item. If you have information or questions about the objects on this website, please contact us. Images may be subject to copyright laws and are therefore not of reproduction quality.