Brief Description
One architectural plan by Benjamin Mountfort showing the longitudinal section of Canterbury College.
Production Role
Architect
Background
The longitudinal section of the Great Hall depicted in this drawing by B. W. Mountfort. Built in 1882 the Great Hall was among the first buildings of Canterbury College to be constructed. Additions to the college were designed by other notable Christchurch architects up until the 1920s when most of the stone buildings that now occupy the site were completed. The Canterbury College premises became the Christchurch Arts Centre when the university relocated to Ilam. The Arts Centre was significantly damaged during the 2010-2011 Canterbury earthquakes. Restoration began promptly but repairs expected to take up to 15 years to complete.
Current Rights

 Share


To order a copy of this image please contact Canterbury Museum images@canterburymuseum.com

Unless otherwise stated, or an author is acknowledged, Canterbury Museum holds copyright to all information on Collections Online. All efforts have been made to trace copyright holders. Please contact the Museum with any queries on this matter info@canterburymuseum.com

The information on this page was created from historic documentation and may not reflect the best available knowledge about the item. If you have information or questions about the objects on this website, please contact us. Images may be subject to copyright laws and are therefore not of reproduction quality.