Mountfort Architectural Plan: Canterbury Provincial Council Buildings
One architectural plan by Benjamin Mountfort of the border of the floor at the Canterbury Provincial Council Chambers.
The stone and timber Canterbury Provincial Council buildings were constructed between 1858 and 1865. The first building was a timber council chamber modelled on English manorial halls, though it had not even opened in 1859 when an extension was proposed. This extension increased the Durham Street frontage and added a new wing along Armagh Street. The third and final stage was the legislative chamber or great hall. The complex was severely damaged during the 2010-2011 Canterbury earthquakes. The damaged site has been made waterproof and partially deconstructed, until a decision on its future can be made.