Brief Description
One architectural plan by Benjamin Mountfort showing ground plan, front elevation and section drawings for fireplaces, Sunnyside Asylum, Christchurch.
Production Role
Architect
Background
Mountfort designed the main buildings at Sunnyside hospital which were constructed periodically through the 1870s. Originally opened in 1863, Sunnyside hospital was Christchurch’s first mental hospital, before then those considered to be insane were housed at Lyttelton jail. The hospital closed in 1999 and the last building on the site was demolished in 2007.
Current Rights

 Share


To order a copy of this image please contact Canterbury Museum images@canterburymuseum.com

Unless otherwise stated, or an author is acknowledged, Canterbury Museum holds copyright to all information on Collections Online. All efforts have been made to trace copyright holders. Please contact the Museum with any queries on this matter info@canterburymuseum.com

The information on this page was created from historic documentation and may not reflect the best available knowledge about the item. If you have information or questions about the objects on this website, please contact us. Images may be subject to copyright laws and are therefore not of reproduction quality.