Photograph: Mountfort Sketch of Canterbury Provincial Council Buildings , c 1860s-70s
One landscape photograph of a pencil sketch by Benjamin Mountfort of the Canterbury Provincial Council Buildings , Durham Street, Christchurch, circa 1860s - 1870s. In A C Barker album 5, age 21.
The stone and timber Canterbury Provincial Council buildings were constructed between 1858 and 1865. The first building was a timber council chamber modelled on English manorial halls, though it had not even opened in 1859 when an extension was proposed. This extension increased the Durham Street frontage and added a new wing along Armagh Street. The third and final stage was the legislative chamber or great hall. The complex was severely damaged during the 2010-2011 Canterbury earthquakes. The damaged site has been made waterproof and partially deconstructed, until a decision on its future can be made.
Current Rights Code