Colour Photograph: Christchurch Public Hospital, 1985
One landscape colour photograph taken in 1985 showing an entrance to Christchurch Public Hospital, Riccarton Avenue.
Christchurch Public Hospital, which first opened in 1862, was entirely rebuilt in several stages over the last quarter of the 20th century. This photograph from 1985 was taken during the period when an extensive rebuild of the hospital was undertaken. Only the Nurses' Memorial Chapel remains of the earlier brick buildings on the site constructed between 1890 and 1940. The hospital remains in the original 1862 location, dubbed ‘Hospital Corner’, and was largely undamaged during the 2010-2011 Canterbury Earthquakes.